Our History

1895
Founded as San Francisco Presbyterian Orphanage & Farm by Mrs. P.D. Browne on 20 acres in San Anselmo. The Orphanage was home to just over 100 boys and girls between the ages of 3 and 16.
1899
Kent Estate hosted the first Grape Festival, a beloved annual fundraiser that would continue for 105 years.
1920
Captain Robert Dollar donated an additional 42.6 acres of pasture land.
1930s
Organization became informally known as “Sunny Hills.”
1965
Residential cottages and administration buildings were constructed on the San Anselmo campus.
1967
Name legally changed to Sunny Hills Children’s Services.
1999
Merged with Children’s Garden of California and name changed to Sunny Hills Children’s Garden Family & Children’s Services.
2005
Name legally changed to Sunny Hills Services.
2006
The 105th and final Grape Festival held in San Rafael.
2007
Established office in Sonoma County, expanding services including YouThrive.
2008
Merged with Bay Area Youth Centers (BAYC) and expanded services into Alameda County; Our Space opened in Alameda.
2012
Irene M. Hunt School (formerly Marin Academic Center) dedicated.
2014
TAY Space opened in San Rafael.
2016
Earned The Joint Commission Gold Seal of Approval for Behavioral Health Care Accreditation.
2017
ReStart opened in San Anselmo.
2018
Name changed to Side by Side. Today, Side by Side serves approximately 2,000 children and their families through an array of programs across Marin, Alameda, Sonoma, and Napa counties.
News and Guts Search Menu Left Angle Up Angle Down Angle Right Angle Left Arrow Right Arrow Email User Play Pause Fullscreen Exit Fullscreen Unmute Mute Close Loading Gallery Arrow Gallery Youtube Facebook Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn Pinterest Google + Flickr Yelp Trip Advisor