Our Space is a vibrant safe space for LGBTQ youth ages 11-23 in Alameda County. Our Space serves over 500 queer and trans youth each year. Approximately 75% of Our Space members are youth of color.
For many young people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and/or questioning (LGBTQ), it can feel like no place is safe. LGBTQ young people experience significantly higher rates of harassment and abuse – as well as poverty, homelessness, and involvement in the child welfare and juvenile justice systems – than their straight peers.
Our Space provides the much-needed safe space where LGBTQ youth can express their authentic selves and feel seen, accepted, and celebrated. Comprehensive services for youth include:
- peer support groups in schools
- community-based mental health and case management
- intergenerational community building activities
- paid youth leadership opportunities,
- as well as a community center with drop-in hours and a gender affirming clothing closet and food pantry.
Our Space also offers specialized support services for adult caregivers and families, as well as trainings for staff from schools, clinics, and other service providers working with LGBTQ youth.
At its heart, Our Space is working to create a world where LGBTQ youth are empowered to show fierce love for themselves and their community.
To learn more about Our Space or engage with our community:
- Watch a video produced by Our Space about their annual youth-driven cabaret performance.
- Connect with Our Space on Facebook or Instagram
- Download BeFIERCE: A Toolkit for Working with LGBTQ Youth
Side by Side gratefully acknowledges the Youth Acceptance Collaborative and the Horizons Foundation for supporting Our Space.