In 2021, Side by Side launched a $1Million capital campaign to renovate and expand the Irene M. Hunt School, Marin’s only nonpublic school serving K-12 students with behavioral and mental health challenges.
The school’s current configuration lacks facilities for STEM-based activities, which are needed to provide a more robust high school curriculum. Additionally, school enrollment is limited due to available capacity in the classrooms and there are not enough dedicated therapy spaces. Fortunately, two existing buildings on the San Anselmo campus are available to be renovated in accordance with current school building codes and more than address these challenges.
With over 77% of the funds already raised, we need your help to reach our goal and break ground in June 2023.
Your investment in this campaign will provide critically needed improvements such as:
- Doubling the physical size of the high school classrooms
- Establishing a STEM lab and dedicated art classroom on par with the local schools the Hunt students will transition back to
- Accommodating additional middle and high school students to reduce the wait list for the Hunt School’s services
- Renovating the aging gym by resurfacing the floor, removing asbestos materials, and adding AV equipment to support school performances and graduations
- Doubling the number of sensory spaces in the high school to support a critical therapeutic tool used by the Hunt School behavioral staff
- Creating a dedicated occupational and speech therapy room, individual therapy offices and a conference room with video capabilities
This is an investment in young people who – until they came to the Hunt School – were treated as the odd kids out and reprimanded for their differences. At the Hunt School, however, those differences are accepted by educators and staff who are able to acknowledge and highlight students’ positive behaviors while providing a safe structure in which to work through negative impulses. Our staff’s commitment and dedication changes our students’ lives.
Your support will have a deep impact on our students by significantly improving the school’s facilities and enhancing the learning environment, better preparing students for their return to mainstream schools.
With your commitment, these students will go on to do great things. Thank you for considering a donation to the Irene M. Hunt School Expansion Capital Campaign.